Chattanooga’s hockey league (yes, hockey) has been growing over the past 30 years (yep, three decades of hockey) and recently hit a couple big milestones — the league now has nonprofit status and recently installed a new playing surface.
And, just so we’re all clear, this isn’t ice hockey. It’s roller hockey. Players use inline skates.
Although it’s possible Chattanooga Hockey, AKA CHA HKY, might fly under some people’s radars, the league has a rich history and now has more than 100 players, who just started a new season.
We got the deets from player and board member Jordan Isip, who moved here from NYC about five years ago and started playing. 👇
- The fall league just started playing.
- There are two adult leagues for different levels of competition.
- There are also two youth leagues — one for ages 7-16 and another one that’s street hockey (so no skates) for ages 5-6.
- The league has about 100 adult players and 50 children.
- They play on the hockey rink adjacent to the First Tennessee Pavilion and next to the skate park.
- You can find the schedule here.
- Organizers encourage people to come and watch or hit pucks around if you aren’t sure you can commit. The league has extra gear. 🙌
- Check out a timeline of the league’s progress here.
Isip said that getting the 501C3 status was a “pivotal milestone.”
“Although the league was successful up until 501C3 status, Chattanooga Hockey leadership recognized that a formal organization was necessary to ensure the future health and growth of hockey in our community,” he said.
Getting tax-exempt status allows the league to:
- Generate financial support from individuals, businesses, and foundations in the Chattanooga community
- Complete a capital campaign for raising the funds necessary to purchase a brand new playing surface.
“Just come watch and/or give it a try…I think the best part about the league is a welcoming community. Everyone is out there to have fun and get in a great workout. It’s also a great alternative outdoor team sport activity for kids. Right now is a great time to check it out since we just installed a new playing surface.” — Jordan Isip, Chattanooga Hockey player, board member