Happy January, Chattanooga. If you’re anything like us, you’re looking forward to days growing longer, taking time to reset, and focusing on New Year’s resolutions — and with all that excitement, you’re also looking for fun local events to attend. Read on for all the top events happening this month in Nooga.
Note: COVID protocols are changing rapidly to curb the spread of the Omicron variant in Chattanooga. Please make sure to check event listing pages + venue websites for the most up-to-date information.
Saturday, Jan. 1
- Coffee & Conversation | Sat., Jan. 1 | 12-3 p.m. | 3529 Brainerd Rd. | Free | Network with small business owners over coffee + learn 5 steps on how to develop business strategy.
- Women’s Mountain Bike Trail Day at Walden’s Ridge | Sat., Jan. 1 | 1-4 p.m. | Free, RSVP | Join SORBA-Chattanooga for a fun women’s only day on the trails at Walden’s Ridge Park, which isn’t open to the public yet.
Sunday, Jan. 2
- Sunday Afternoon Paint | Sun., Jan. 2 | 4-6 p.m. | Painting With a Twist, 1309 Panorama Dr. | $39+ | This family-friendly event will feature a relaxing evening painting a beautiful image on canvas or wood.
Monday, Jan. 3
- Toddler Time | Mon., Jan. 3 | 10-10:30 a.m. | Online | Free | The Chattanooga Public Library hosts this quick, jam-packed informal learning program for children ages 18 to 36 months.
- Chattanooga Grotto Meeting | Mon., Jan. 3 | 7-8:30 p.m. | Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River St. | Free | Anyone is welcome to come see what being a local caver is all about.
Tuesday, Jan. 4
- Infant CPR | Tues., Jan. 4 | 4:30 p.m. | Children’s Hospital at Erlanger – Kennedy Outpatient Center, 900 E. 3rd St. | $25 | New parents will learn basic infant CPR instruction as well as choking management techniques.
- Infant CPR | Tues., Jan. 4 | 6 p.m. | Children’s Hospital at Erlanger – Kennedy Outpatient Center, 900 E. 3rd St. | $25 | New parents will learn basic infant CPR instruction as well as choking management techniques.
- SDCL YA Adventure Club | Tues., Jan. 4 | 6:15-8 p.m. | Soddy-Daisy Community Library, 9619 Dayton Pike | RSVP | 12-19 year olds can come together for the first meeting of this adventure role-playing games club.
Wednesday, Jan. 5
- Gardening Series: Planning Your Garden | Wed., Jan. 5 | 6-7:30 p.m. | The Chattery, 1800 Rossville Ave. | $25 | Learn how to grow your best garden ever this year in the first part of an ongoing gardening series at The Chattery.
- Who R We? | Wed., Jan. 5 | 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. | The Walden Club, 633 Chestnut St. | $17-25 | Start the new year with Greater Chattanooga Realtors and learn more about what the Women’s Council of Realtors has to offer.
Thursday, Jan. 6
- Museum Sensory Night | Thurs., Jan. 6 | 5:30-8 p.m. | Creative Discovery Museum | Free, RSVP | This is a free, low-stimulus evening at the museum after hours for children with sensory sensitivity.
- Workout on Wheels | Thurs., Jan. 6 | 5:30-7:30 p.m. | Circus Arts & Performance Center, 2315 Cannon Ave. | $20 | Come dressed in your best Jane Fonda costume + skating safety gear and get ready to workout on skates.
- Soap Making 101 | Thurs., Jan. 6 | 6-8:30 p.m. | The Chattery | $45 | Learn how to make skin nourishing soaps with oils + lye — you’ll leave the class with five to six bars.
- New Year, New Planner | Thurs., Jan. 6 | 6-7:30 p.m. | The Chattery, virtual | $23 | Explore different planner layouts to help maximize your productivity.
Friday, Jan. 7
- Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit | Fri., Jan. 7 | 8 p.m. | Tivoli Theatre | $59+ | Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit will be performing at the Tivoli’s Annual Theatre Gala.
- O’Reilly Auto Parts World of Wheels | Fri., Jan. 7-Sun., Jan. 9 | 3 p.m. | Chattanooga Convention Center | $5-18 | Car lovers can get together at this indoor show full of hot rods, race cars, antique cars, and celebrity guests.
- Carpetbagger’s Comedy Night | Fri., Jan. 7 | 9 p.m. | Bode Chattanooga, 730 Chestnut St. | $10 | Watch NYC comics from Netflix, Comedy Central, SiriusXM, BuzzFeed, and NPR fame join Southeast favorites — tickets include one beer.
- First Friday Open House | Fri., Jan. 7 | 6-8 p.m. | Area 61 Gallery, 721 Broad St. | Free | Mix + mingle with local artists and check out their artwork.
- Meeting Animal Ambassadors | Fri., Jan. 7 | 1:30-2:30 p.m. | Reflection Riding, 400 Garden Rd. | Free, RSVP | Meet a raptor, opossum, or snake face-to-face + learn a bit more about them.
Saturday, Jan. 8
- Curating the Perfect Playlist for Your 2022 Vision | Sat., Jan. 8 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | The Chattery, 1800 Rossville Ave. | $30 | Give your 2022 vision board a soundtrack — hint: if “All Too Well (Taylor’s version) (10 minute version)” is on there, your year might be a bummer.
- Mortgage and Homebuying 101 | Sat., Jan. 8 | 1-2 p.m. | The Chattery, 1800 Rossville Ave. | Free | Learn how to confidently navigate the home buying + mortgage process with tips from Michael Cline, a mortgage loan officer.
- Creating a 2022 Marketing Strategy | Sat., Jan. 8 | 2:30-3:30 p.m. | Online | $18 | Start the new year off right with a new marketing strategy for your business.
- Monthly Empowerment Circle | Sat., Jan. 8 | 6-8 p.m. | The Edney Innovation Center, 1100 Market St. | RSVP | The Royal Circle of Sisters host this educational evening of female empowerment.
- Intro to Ayurveda | Sat., Jan. 8 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | Crabtree Farms, 1000 E. 30th St. | $25 | Ayurvedic Practitioner Jennifer Maklan teaches the fundamentals of the Indian medical practice of Ayurveda.
- Mycology 101 | Sat., Jan. 8 | 1:30-3:30 p.m. | Crabtree Farms, 1000 E. 30th St. | $30 | Get into the nitty gritty of the mushroom life cycle and how to integrate mushrooms into your daily life.
- Open Gate Day | Sat., Jan. 8 | 9 a.m.-5 p.m. | Lula Lake Land Trust, 5000 Lula Lake Rd. | $16 | With 8+ miles of trails, bluff views, and a 120-foot waterfall, adventure awaits you at Lula Lake.
- Vulture Adventure | Sat., Jan. 8 | 11 a.m.-12 p.m. | Reflection Riding, 400 Garden Rd. | $15+ | Take a walk around Reflection Riding’s campus with Vlad the vulture — long panthers recommended.
Sunday, Jan. 9
- Tennessee Titans Watch Party | Sun., Jan. 9 | 12-4:30 p.m. | Parkway Pourhouse | Free | Watch the Titans take on Houston Texans with drinks from Parkway Pourhouse + other Titans fans.
- Black Flight: the Impact of Market-Based Urban Renewal in Chattanooga | Sun., Jan. 9 | 6 p.m. | Online | Free | Tennessee State University Associate Professor Dr. Ken Chilton kicks off the Unity Group of Chattanooga’s MLK Week Celebration with this presentation.
Monday, Jan. 10
- The Business of Comedy | Mon., Jan. 10 | 6-7:30 p.m. | The Chattery, 1800 Rossville Ave. | $15 | Learn all about the business of stand-up comedy + how to find venues and performer networks.
- Chattanooga Singing Circle: Four Week Workshop | Mon., Jan. 10 | 10-11:30 a.m. | The Chattery, 1800 Rossville Ave. | $60 | Come together on Mondays in January to immerse yourself in the diverse, communal tradition of singing circles.
- Learn to Ride a Bicycle Class | Mon., Jan. 10 | 4-5:30 p.m. | Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River St. | Free | Whether your child is struggling to ride without training wheels or you’ve been too intimidated to try biking on your own, this class is perfect for anyone needing to learn the basics of safe bike riding.
- 2022 – What’s New About Voting? | Mon., Jan. 10 | 7-8 p.m. | Online | RSVP | Join the Hamilton County Voters Coalition to learn more about local changes to voting rights + processes.
Tuesday, Jan. 11
- Beginner Hand Lettering | Tues., Jan. 11 | 6-8:15 p.m. | The Chattery, 1800 Rossville Ave. | $45 | Learn the art of modern calligraphy in this basics workshop with all supplies included.
- Adult Archery | Tues., Jan. 11 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River St. | Free | All adults 18+ can try target-style archery with games.
- Community and the Courts: Criminal Justice Issues in 2022 | Tues., Jan. 11 | 7 p.m. | Online | RSVP | CALEB — Chattanoogans in Action for Love, Equality and Benevolence — shares a presentation on local criminal justice issues and how they relate to the upcoming county elections in August.
Wednesday, Jan. 12
- “The Light We Share” Premiere | Wed., Jan. 12 | 7 p.m. | Tivoli Theatre | $15 | Join this red carpet event, where the Pop-Up Project will premiere its first feature-length film, “The Light We Share.”
- Writing from the Body: How to Free Your Voice | Wed., Jan. 12 | 6-8 p.m. | Online | $20 | Start your journey of writing fearlessly by discovering your own “body” of writing.
- No Pressure: Instant Pot 101 | Wed., Jan. 12 | 6-7:30 p.m. | The Chattery | $28 | Face your Instant Pot fears with this review of basic Instant Pot techniques and three recipe demos.
Thursday, Jan. 13
- Heart-Focused Meditation with HeartMath | Thurs., Jan. 13 | 12-12:45 p.m. | The Chattery, virtual | $15 | Try HeartMath meditation, a science-based practice that helps improve emotions.
- Garden Club | Thurs., Jan. 13 | 6-8 p.m. | Crabtree Farms, 1000 E. 30th St. | $35 | The Garden Club provides hands-on guidance, support, and resources to help grow a beautiful garden.
- Empowered Fertility with Dr. Catherine Needham | Thurs., Jan. 13 | 6:30-8 p.m. | Common House Chattanooga, 1517 Mitchell Ave. | Free | Doctors will discuss fertility, how to be empowered through the process of conceiving, understanding some of the obstacles + how to overcome them.*
- Winter Virtual Workshop – Wilderness Survival | Thurs., Jan. 13 | 7-8 p.m. | Outdoor Chattanooga, virtual | Free, RSVP | Think outside the box with real life examples that may help you if you ever find yourself lost in the wilderness.
- Making Our Communities Decent & Safe Places to Live | Thurs., Jan. 13 | 7 p.m. | Online | Free | Local activist Brother Kevin Muhammad hosts this MLK Week event.
- Bird Watching from your Couch | Thurs., Jan. 13 | 7 p.m. | Nova Conservation, virtual | Free | Nova Conservation’s Laura Marsh will share the basics of birding from home, including using binoculars and a field guide, bird feeder use, and identification of common backyard birds.
Friday, Jan. 14
- Find Your Transformative Passion in the New Year | Fri., Jan. 14 | 12-1 p.m. | The Chattery, virtual | $18 | Whether you want to start a new hobby or try out a New Year’s resolution, this interactive workshop will help you discover more about your transformative passion.
- Chattacon | Fri., Jan. 14-Sun., Jan. 16 | 3 p.m. | DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, 407 Chestnut St. | $60 | Science fiction lovers unite for fandom conversations, writing workshops, and more.
- Riots are the Voices of the Unheard | Fri., Jan. 14 | 7 p.m. | Online | RSVP | Pastor Charlotte Williams presents this MLK Week Celebration event with guest speaker Lorenzo Kom’boa Ervin, who shares his experience as a former civil rights organizer.
Saturday, Jan. 15
- Healthy Family Cooking: Rainbow Veggie Rolls | Sat., Jan. 15 | 11 a.m.-12 p.m. | The Chattery | $38 | A $38 ticket covers one adult + one child in this veggie fresh roll cooking class.
- Introduction to Intuition | Sat., Jan. 15 | 9-10:30 a.m. | The Chattery | $22 | Everyone has the gift of intuition, but this class will help you remember that power within yourself.
- Home Organizing for 2022 | Sat., Jan. 15 | 1-2:30 p.m. | The Chattery | $25 | Learn the fundamentals of the organizing process from Professional Organizer Kelly Lewis.
- Wilderness Survival Outdoor Class: Put it to Practice | Sat., Jan. 15 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | Outdoor Chattanooga OutVentures, 5051 Gann Store Rd. | Bundle up and practice fire building, shelter building, and other wilderness survival techniques in the fresh air of the forest.
- We Are Us Show | Sat., Jan. 15 | 8 p.m. | Common House, 1517 Mitchell Ave. | $10 | Enjoy drinks, a nice venue, and great tunes at this show.
- Continuing the Movement for Community Control | Sat., Jan. 15 | 7 p.m. | Online | RSVP | Join organizers and members of the Community Control Now Coalition in this MLK Week event.
- Got Bluebirds? | Sat., Jan. 15 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | Master Gardeners, virtual | Free | Learn how to attract bluebirds to your yard + discuss nest box basics which are crucial to the birds survival due to loss of habitat.
Sunday, Jan. 16
- Family Day | Sun., Jan. 16 | 2-4 p.m. | Painting With a Twist, 1309 Panorama Dr. | $39-48 | Get the family together to paint your own versions of a turtle in the sea.
- COVID-19 is not Dead: How to protect yourself | Sun., Jan. 16 | 7 p.m. | Online | RSVP | This MLK Week Celebration event is hosted by the Chattanooga-Hamilton County Branch NAACP.
Monday, Jan. 17
- MLK Service Day at the Farm | Mon., Jan. 17 | 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Crabtree Farms, 1000 E. 30th St. | Free | Spend MLK Jr. Day volunteering at the farm by helping with greenhouse work, adding compost to community gardens, working on field prep, and more.
- MLK Day of Service | Mon., Jan. 17 | 9 a.m.-12 p.m. | Ted R. Bryant Sr. Park, Fairview + E. 10th Streets | Free | This volunteer opportunity from the Chattanooga Park Stewards will allow participants to help with park improvements.
- Beloved Community Gathering | Mon., Jan. 17 | 1 p.m. | Miller Park | Free | The Unity Group of Chattanooga closes out MLK Celebration Week with this community event.
Tuesday, Jan. 18
- Intuitive Art with Watercolor (In-person class) | Tues., Jan. 18 | The Chattery | $22 | This workshop is for people who love identifying things in the clouds — create a base with watercolor + take a black pen to create a design in the shape.
- Local Artists Exhibit | Tues., Jan. 18 | 5:30-7:30 p.m. | Office at Berkshire Hathaway, 1315 Taft Hwy. | Free | Enjoy local art, meet the artists, and enjoy refreshments.
Wednesday, Jan. 19
- Trey Kennedy: “Are You For Real?” Tour | Wed., Jan. 19 | 7 p.m. | Tivoli Theatre | $39+ | A former Vine star + current content creator is now bringing his array of entertaining content to the stage.
- Basics of Floral Design: Winter Whites Vase Arrangement | Wed., Jan. 19 | 6-7 p.m. | The Chattery | $60 | In this class, you’ll get to design with seasonal flowers that are perfect for your home.
Thursday, Jan. 20
- Chattanooga REI Social | Thurs., Jan. 20 | 5:30-8:30 p.m. | Wanderlinger Brewing Co., 1208 King St. | RSVP | Network with local real estate professionals.
Friday, Jan. 21
- Beginner Acrylic Painting: Winter Landscape | Fri., Jan. 21 | 6-8 p.m. | The Chattery | $40 | Learn how to create your own winter landscape in this beginner-friendly class, with all materials included.
- Home Canning 101 | Fri., Jan. 21 | 2-4 p.m. | The Chattery, virtual | $12 | Beginner + experienced home food preservers alike can learn from this overview of safe canning methods.
- Beginner Acrylic Painting: A Winter Landscape | Fri., Jan. 21 | The Chattery | $40 | This beginner-friendly painting class lets you try your hand at painting a winter landscape with acrylic paint.
- Carpetbagger’s Comedy Night | Fri., Jan. 21 | 9 p.m. | Bode Chattanooga, 730 Chestnut St. | $10 | Watch NYC comics from Netflix, Comedy Central, SiriusXM, BuzzFeed, and NPR fame join Southeast favorites — tickets include one beer.
Saturday, Jan. 22
- Show Me Reptile Show | Sat., Jan. 22-Sun., Jan. 23 | 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. | Chattanooga Convention Center | $10+ | Explores reptiles, amphibians, and exotic mammals at this two-day show.
- Beyond the Birds & the Bees: Youth Workshop | Sat., Jan. 22 | 10-11:30 a.m. | The Chattery | Free | In partnership with Chattanooga Girls Rock, The Chattery is offering a discussion about sexuality + healthy relationships meant to empower teens — this class is limited to girls + trans and non-binary youth ages 12-17.
- Talking About Sex with Youth: Guardian Workshop | Sat., Jan. 22 | 12-1:30 p.m. | The Chattery | Free | In partnership with Chattanooga Girls Rock, The Chattery is offering this workshop to help prepare guardians for conversations about sex and sexual health with the youth in their lives.
- Small Business New Year: Planning for a Year of Growth | Sat., Jan. 22 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | The Chattery, virtual | $23 | This interactive webinar will help you develop a map of your business goals + plans.
- Branding 101 | Sat., Jan. 22 | 1-2 p.m. | Online | $18 | Learn how your brand goes beyond a logo.
Sunday, Jan. 23
- Rob Schneider | Sun., Jan. 23 | 7 p.m. | Walker Theatre | $35 | Actor, comedian, screenwriter + director Rob Schneider will perform a stand-up show at the theatre.
Monday, Jan. 24
- Beginner Guitar: Two Part Workshop | Mon., Jan. 24 | 6-8 p.m. | The Chattery | $40 for entire series | This series will teach you how to tune your guitar, strumming techniques, beginner chords, and more.
Tuesday, Jan. 25
- Job Searching 101 | Tues., Jan. 25 | 6-7:30 p.m. | The Chattery, virtual | $20 | Learn the basics of an effective, strategic job search from career coach Dr. Rose Opengart.
- Calligraphy with Crayola | Tues., Jan. 25 | 6-7 p.m. | The Chattery | $25 | All supplies are included in this lettering class: Crayola markers, tracing paper, and a handout to keep practicing at home.
- Adult Archery | Tues., Jan. 25 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River St. | Free | All adults 18+ can try target-style archery with games.
- Try Archery! | Tues., Jan. 25 | 3-5 p.m. | Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River St. | RSVP | This free indoor class offers a hands-on opportunity to learn more about the sport of archery.
Wednesday, Jan. 26
- Elderberry Syrup 101 | Wed., Jan. 26 | 6-7:30 p.m. | The Chattery | $35 | Beat the season’s together with one of nature’s most prized botanicals and leave with your own jar of elderberry syrup.
- Drink + Learn: Houseplant 101 | Wed., Jan. 26 | 6-8 p.m. | Pax Breu Ruim | $30 | Learn how to mix your own soil, the basics of propagation, common plant parenting mistakes, and more — all with a drink in hand.
Thursday, Jan. 27
- Food Preservation: Freezing Basics | Thurs., Jan. 27 | 2-4 p.m. | The Chattery, virtual | $12 | Find out how long you can keep leftovers + other foods frozen, and learn an easy homemade freezer jam and salsa.
- Beginner Beading | Thurs., Jan. 27 | 6-7:30 p.m. | The Chattery | $30 | Learn how to create your own jewelry in this basics class.
- Winter Virtual Workshop – All about Trails | Thurs., Jan. 27 | 7-8 p.m. | Outdoor Chattanooga, virtual | Learn more about Chattanooga’s beloved trails.
- Mycology 101 | Thurs., Jan. 27 | 6-7 p.m. | Urban Horticulture Supply, 3009 Wood Ave. | $25 | Guest speaker Brandon Bronkema will walk you through mushrooms’ basic life cycle, its function within the ecosystem + health benefits.
Friday, Jan. 28
- Ron White | Fri., Jan. 28 | 8 p.m. | Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium | $39-89 | Stand-up comedian Ron White, nicknamed “Tater Salad,” is best known as a member of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.
- Meet Animal Ambassadors | Fri., Jan. 28 | 1:30-2:30 p.m. | Reflection Riding Arboretum & Nature Center | Donations accepted | Join Reflection Riding’s wildlife conservation staff to meet animal ambassadors, face-to-face.
Saturday, Jan. 29
- Polar Plunge & Fun Run at Lula Lake | Sat., Jan. 29 | 9 a.m.-12 p.m. | Lula Lake Land Trust, 5000 Lula Lake Rd. | $50-175 | Brave the freezing waters of Lula Lake and/or have a quick run before you take a dip.
- Ignite Your Life Purpose in Midlife | Sat., Jan. 29 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | The Chattery, virtual | $22 | Midlife women can learn to create a life they love on their terms, with meaning and purpose, in this class.
- Lotion Bars 101 | Sat., Jan. 29 | 1-2:30 p.m. | The Chattery | $35 | This hands-on class will leave you with six lotion bars to take home.
- Mycology 101 | Sat., Jan. 29 | 10-11 a.m. | Urban Horticulture Supply, 3009 Wood Ave. | $25 | Guest speaker Brandon Bronkema will walk you through mushrooms’ basic life cycle, its function within the ecosystem + health benefits.
Sunday, Jan. 30
- String Theory: Annual Family Concert | Sun., Jan. 30 | 2 p.m. | Hunter Museum | Free | This family-friendly concert is free + open to all ages with the Hunter as a beautiful backdrop.
Monday, Jan. 31
- Toddler Time | Mon., Jan. 31 | 10-10:30 a.m. | Chattanooga Public Library, virtual | Free | The Chattanooga Public Library hosts this quick, jam-packed informal learning program for children ages 18 to 36 months.