Today is National Beer Day, and we need your help naming a new Five Wits peach-apricot blonde ale. 🍺
Before we get into that, April 7 is National Beer Day because it marks the anniversary of Franklin D. Roosevelt signing a 1933 act to legalize the sale of beer with an alcohol content, by weight, of 3.2%.
And, as FDR said after signing the bill, “I think this would be a good time for a beer.”
In honor of the day, we’ve found some local spring brews to wet your whistle on these sunny days.
Want to help name that new peach-apricot blonde ale that Five Wits will be releasing soon? Skip down to the question below and enter your best, fun-in-the-sun, patio-drinking name for a blonde ale. Extra points if you include a local, Main Street or Southside tie-in. We’ll vote for the best one on Friday. 🍻
- Chattanooga Brewing Co., 1804 Chestnut St. | Faultless Lager | Tried and true, this lager is crisp + smooth and best enjoyed after a long, summer day.
- Five Wits Brewing Co., 1501 Long St. | Swear Jar | This 5.2% lager has a German Pilsner malt + a layer of bright, floral notes from Noble Hallertauer Mittelfrüh hops and a bread-rich, low-and-slow fermentation profile from their Bavarian house lager yeast.
- Heaven & Ale Brewing Co., 342 E. Main St. | Main Street Pilsner | A light, crisp Czech pilsner that’s perfect for drinking on a sunny day.
- Hutton & Smith Brewing Co., 431 E. MLK Blvd., Suite 120 | Elliot’s Black Currant and Blackberry Gose | A staff release, this gose has a bright fuchsia head + tart fruit sitting atop underlying notes of citrusy coriander.
- Naked River Brewing Co., 1791 Reggie White Blvd. | Sexi Mexi Mexican Lager | Try this if you want a lager with a citrusy, lemon-lime kick.
- Oddstory Brewing Co., 336 E. MLK Blvd. | Lavender Lemonade | Not a new release, but this sour is perfect for a spring day. Plus, it’s now available in 12 oz cans.
- Tanasi Brewing & Supplies, 1510 Riverside Dr. | Banana Hands Hefeweizen | This brew is cloudy and crisp with balanced notes of banana + clove.
- Wanderlinger Brewing Co., 1208 King St. | Sprockets Rye Kölsch | Try this sunny-day brew that has notes of bread crust + pepper with traditional German hops.
Photo by cottonbro via Pexels