We announced back in May that the German discount supermarket ALDI was coming to Signal Mountain Road. Since then, we’ve had many readers anticipating the new store asking us “When is the new ALDI opening?” (It’s been a long wait, y’all. 😆)
Well, friends, you don’t have to wait much longer. The new store now has an official opening date for Oct. 18, and the ALDI team will be giving its first customers door prizes to celebrate.
During the grand opening, shoppers can expect to sample ALDI foods and have the opportunity to enter a sweepstakes for free ALDI produce for a year. 🥗 You may have to make a plan to eat all that produce and avoid the guilt that comes when the lettuce inevitably gets pushed to the back of the fridge, but we’re confident you can do it. The first 100 customers will also receive a gift card. 🙌
By the numbers:
$3.4 billion: Amount the company is investing in expanding stores nationwide.
2,500: Locations the chain wants to add.
25,000: Jobs the company wants to create in stores, warehouses and offices.
DYK: ALDI is also in the middle of rolling out its online grocery delivery service called Instacart. By Thanksgiving, Instacart will be available at all ALDI locations.
Check it out:
📅 Thursday, Oct. 18
⏰ 8:45 a.m.
📍 680 Signal Mountain Rd.
We’re loving our readers’ excitement about the new grocery player in town. Plus, could a Trader Joe’s be on the way? 🤔 See what readers have to say below. ⬇
After a bit of pedantic Twitter discussion (isn’t that what Twitter is for?) about what part of town the new store is technically in, some readers said they are thrilled about the addition, as they drive farther to get to the Lee Highway or Hixson locations.
Reader Amanda S. said she saves as much as $100 compared to shopping at Walmart or Food City. More from readers ➡
- “ALDI is exactly what a free market is about. And their prices have demonstrably drastic effects on the competition. Excited for high-quality, low-cost food relatively close to downtown. AND on my way home! Saves a trip to Hixson!” -Justin M.
- “ALDI is a great addition to the area, bringing competitive pricing in the North Shore, NorthChatt, Red Bank neighborhoods.” -John P.
- “I try to get all of my groceries at ALDI. Huge price difference from even WalMart and their own brand is equal to or better than name brands. And I DO drive to their other stores first. It’s worth it to me. I am 100% happy they will be closer.” -Vicki L.
- “I’m interested to see if the inventory is better than Hixson, so as to appeal to the “mountain crowd. lol” – @JFish
- “I’m very excited! ALDI is one of those places that you can’t really shop for specific items… but more of a “let’s see what I can get a deal on”, so it doesn’t make sense for me to drive 20-30 minutes currently to see what ALDI has a few times a week. (It’s very hit or miss in my experience).” -Jaclyn H.
Although reader Jaclyn H. was excited about ALDI, she also said she loves Trader Joe’s. More from readers ➡
- “Trader Joe’s makes their own products (or private labels them at least) & is ALWAYS on top of health food trends but still offers low prices. Examples: Trader Joe’s frozen cauliflower gnocchi, $2 wine, & cookie butter.” -Jaclyn H
- “Get a Trader Joe’s and I’ll be excited. Haha. It’s considered more high end. They have more healthy options than ALDI as well as a better overall aesthetic.” – Brandon R.
At least a couple people are not into ALDI.
- “I don’t find their goods high quality. And their stores always seem poorly lit and dirty.”
- “Wouldn’t shop at ALDI…poor food quality.” -Lora B.
Either way, if you check out the new location, here some pro tips for getting the most out of the new store.
ALDI 101: Pro tips for first-timers
- Always take a quarter because you need one to get a cart.💰
- Bring your shopping bags, so you don’t have to buy them.🛍
- Collect empty boxes as you shop. Some will be left on shelves from the bulk packaging, and are fair game. This will save you having to buy bags if you didn’t buy your own. 📦
- Consider the timing of new deliveries. Call ahead or ask employees when they get their produce and veggie deliveries so you get the best products before they are picked through.🥦
- Take and bake pizzas are cheap, huge and delicious (says our editor Adam Green).🍕
- Consider paying it forward and offer your buggy to someone when you’re finished so they don’t have to pay. 👌
- Reader Jenna M. suggested using the app called Emeals, which helps you look for deals at specific stores, including ALDI. 📲