Summer — the season of neighborhood cookouts, popsicle juice dripping down sticky fingers, and road trips. Call us crazy, but this season brings an abundance of nostalgia, especially when it comes to driving down the highway while blasting The Proclaimers’ “I’m Gonna Be.”
That’s why we’re excited to kick off Hit the Road. In this summer road trip series, we will feature three destinations throughout June, July, and August — each with its own theme. We’ll be talking outdoor adventures, 30-mile getaways, and something for the foodies.
Before you pack your bags, here are some of our recommendations to prepare locally:
🥤 Stock up on road trip essentials
Swing by one of these Chattanooga spots to stock up on snacks, drinks, and coffee to minimize your stops during the road trip.
- The Local Juicery, 48 E. Main St. | Grab a refreshing juice, smoothie, or milk to cool down on your trip. Pro tip: If you’re looking for a more savory treat, we definitely recommend trying the kale chips.
- Up/Down Coffee Bar, 1220 King St. | Interested in trying something new? Try out the “Squeeze the Day,” “Electro Cute,” or “Flower Sour” specialty coffees that have lemonade in them.
- Bread & Butter, 3955 Dayton Blvd. | Choose from a wide array of pastries, quiche, sandwiches, or desserts. Pro tip: If you’re driving, the breakfast pocket is the perfect handheld treat.
🎶 Create a road trip playlist
Check out these local artists + add some of their tunes to your road trip rotation.
- Lenox Hills, “Golden Town”
- Swayyvo, “Alone in Noise”
- BbyMutha, “CHERRYTAPE”
- Bonus: Listen to an audiobook
🚘 Get your car ready
Check the fluids + car battery. If you notice anything out of the ordinary or need a last-minute oil change before you go, head to one of these local car shops.
- Downtown Automotive, 1725 Market St.
- McGlohon Springs & Alignment, 905 E. 16th St.
- Honest Charley Garage, 1309 Chestnut St.
- Bonus: Find the cheapest places to fill up your gas tank
🐶 Don’t forget about fido
Be sure to line up accommodations for your pet while you’re away. Reach out to one of the many local pet sitters or pet boarding facilities. Here are a few: