Attention, history buffs and bourbon drinkers of Nooga — now is your time to shine. The Read House (an iconic Chattanooga landmark) turns 150 this year, and they’ve teamed up with local bourbon brand J.W. Kelly to celebrate. And what better way to do so than with a contest for some big, local prizes?
More deets on that in a minute — first, let’s brush up on some history and find out how these two historical icons are connected:
- 1864: Thomas Crutchfield opens the Crutchfield House, a hotel + gathering place for soldiers.
- 1866: J.W. Kelly moves to Chattanooga, founds a distillery, and opens a business next door.
- 1867: A fire destroys the Crutchfield House. Thomas Crutchfield sells the property to developer J.T. Read.
- 1872: The Read House opens, with a restaurant co-owned by J.W. Kelly.
- 1890: J.W. Kelly buys the Read House’s bar + billiards room.
- 1892: Both Kelly and S. R. Read are honored in the Chattanooga Times feature 100 Men Who Have Done So Much for Chattanooga.
And there you have it. Now, they want to hear a little history from you. Starting today, you can head to J.W. Kelly’s website to tell them about your favorite historical site in Chattanooga and why you love it in 100 words or less, and you’ll be entered to win the following:
🥃 First place: An overnight stay at The Read House (plus dinner and drinks) and a bottle of the J.W. Kelly Read House 150th Anniversary Commemorative whiskey (up to $150 dinner & drinks credit)
🥃 Second place: Dinner for two at Bridgeman’s Chophouse in The Read House (up to $150 credit) + a bottle of the J.W. Kelly Read House 150th Anniversary Commemorative whiskey
🥃 Third place: A bottle of J.W. Kelly Read House 150th Anniversary Commemorative whiskey
The contest is open through Thurs., March 31. Good luck, Nooga.*