Here at NOOGAtoday, we love to share some of the most exciting activities our city has to offer with you — but sometimes, not all of those activities are accessible to every Chattanoogan.
In honor of Disability Pride Month coming to a close, we’re highlighting some amazing, accessible local activities for mobility-challenged Noogans.
- Adventure Sports Innovation | ASI offers SWINCAR adaptive vehicle experiences, plus electric bikes + scooters for those who can’t walk long distances
Note: The Swincar experience requires significant upper body control + stability, and use of your arms and hands to steer the vehicle, squeeze the hand brakes, and press the thumb throttle continuously
- CARTA | CARTA’s buses are wheelchair accessible, and Care-A-Van services are available to those in CARTA’s service area who are unable to use CARTA’s fixed route transit vehicles
- Point Park | Point Park has a paved walking path around the park that will take you past historic tablets, monuments, confederate artillery positions, and a scenic overlook
- Reflection Riding | Reflection Riding’s wheelchair-accessible Blue Heron Boardwalk will take you through the Blue Heron wetlands with numerous bird + animal species
Bonus: As part of its framework for the future, the park will increase accessibility through a multi-modal path that would be accessible to strollers, wheelchairs, and other conveyances (plus, the possibility of electric carts)
- South Chickamauga Creek Greenway | This greenway offers several flat + paved trails, plus, there’s a handicapped accessible canoe launch at the South Chickamauga Creek Greenway terminus at the Riverwalk off Amnicola
- Read House | This historic — and possibly haunted — hotel offers level or ramp entrances, accessible guest rooms with wide entry doors, a roll-in shower, swimming pool hoist, and is welcoming of service animals
- The Tivoli | Wheelchair-accessible seating is available at both the Tivoli + Memorial Auditorium
Note: Not all of these activities will cater to every mobility-challenged person, and this is not an exhaustive list. Let us know what we missed + we’ll be happy to share it.