Check yourself before you wreck yourself... or your closet, as spring cleaning quickly approaches.
If you itch to deep clean when the weather shifts but don’t want the added stress — follow these local self-care guided tips to prepare.
Everything in moderation + meditation
Clean in increments that won’t leave you overwhelmed. Pro tip: Editor Haley takes 10 minutes each morning picking up to start her day. Pick up meditation techniques at Southern Soul Yoga to stay in the right headspace to redo your physical space.
Make your home your sanctuary
It’s like a reward. Don’t forget to run and get a little treat for your hard work. Stop and reset with a cup of tea at Wildflower Tea Shop & Apothecary or buy a new plant from The Secret Garden to add to the serenity of a new clean space.
Take a deep breath
The smell of cleaning supplies can be suffocating, so we recommend getting outside and taking a walk along the Tennessee RiverWalk or through Coolidge Park as a solution.
Reduce + Recycle
You might be tempted to throw out everything during this process, but check out some local donation spots to give a second life to your old beloved items.
♻️ Donation Centers:
- Northside Neighborhood House Northshore Thrift Store, 209 Minor St. | Clothing and household items
- Poor Taste, 61 E. Main St. | Clothing
- America’s Thrift Stores and Donation Center, 248 Northgate Mall Dr. | Clothing and household items
- Goodwill Donation Center, 1966 Northpoint Blvd. | Clothing and household items
- Salvation Army, 822 McCallie Ave. + 4104 Ringgold Rd. | Household items
- Bethel Thrift Store, 5135 Hixson Pike | Clothing and household items Note: Donations are currently only accepted Tuesdays-Saturdays.
- McKay’s Chattanooga, 7734 Lee Hwy. | Books, movies, and music