It’s no secret that the COVID-19 pandemic has taken a toll on businesses across the nation, and Chattanooga hasn’t been immune, either, with heartbreaking news about local businesses like Songbirds, Star Line Books, and the Dwell Hotel closing due to repercussions from the pandemic.
Intern Brianna here, and I know how vital it is to keep everyone informed on Chattanooga news (such as local businesses closing), but we also hope to bring some positive headlines to your day. Although the pandemic has brought rough times for businesses in the city, we’ve also had a lot of exciting development happening that we want to highlight. Keep reading to see the businesses + developments that are scheduled to be completed in our city within the next few months. 👇
Opening this fall
Sorted by planned opening dates
- Yellow Racket Records | Chattanooga’s new — much-needed — record store with new + pre-loved vinyl is opening Mon., Aug. 24 at 2311 E. Main St. Eventually, the space will also hold a coffee bar and lounge area with a small stage for in-store performances. 🎵 ProTip: Book a private shopping hour before opening day here.
- Black Cat Tap Room | Planned to open in just a few weeks, the Black Cat Tap Room is meant to be a New Orleans-inspired community bar. The Tap Room will be located on Brainerd Road alongside another new business,The Hatch Outfitters. 🍺
- Craft Axe Throwing | Craft Axe Throwing has plans to open an East Ridge location at 627 Camp Jordan Pkwy. after Labor Day. The new location will feature axe throwing lanes + a bar with craft brews. 🎯
- Lil Mama’s | This Chicago-style hoagy sandwich shop is set to open mid-September in the heart of Patten Parkway. Make sure to stay tuned to Lil Mama’s social media to check out the menu when it comes out soon. (Bonus: Phase 5 of the Patten Parkway construction is set to begin after Phase 4 is completed in late Aug.) 😋
- Mean Mug | Fort Oglethorpe is getting a Mean Mug location — complete with drive-thru service — that is scheduled to open sometime this fall (P.S.: There’s another Mean Mug location coming to Hamilton Place in spring 2021, too). ☕
- Goodman Coffee Roasters | Coffee — it’s good, man. Local favorite Goodman Coffee is opening a second location in St. Elmo. The opening date isn’t set in stone yet, but it’s coming soon. Until then, you can get “a cup of good in you” at their location in Warehouse Row. ☕
- Sunnyside Cup | This local coffee shop is opening a second location this fall at 617 Signal Mountain Rd., so get excited for more coffee + Niedlov’s pastries, Signal Mountain area. 🙌
- U.S. 27 | The end may be nearing for the long-awaited U.S. 27 Highway construction. Due to weather and construction circumstances, the project that was supposed to be completed in January has been pushed back. According to TDOT’s timeline for the project, the completion date is now scheduled for fall of 2020. Fingers crossed! 🤞
- Monkey Town Brewing Co. | Dayton’s micro-brewery and restaurant Monkey Town Brewing Co. is coming to Hixson on Ashland Terrace at the former McHales location. The brewing company is expected to open in a few months, so stay tuned for more updates. 🍻
- Mad Priest Coffee Roastery | The drive-thru at the roastery is ready for business + will have a grand opening on Aug. 31 through Sept. 4 at its location on 3399 Wilcox Blvd. The grand opening will feature free 12-oz. drip coffee every day + deals on retail coffee bags, T-shirts, and mugs. You can find more info on the grand opening week here. (ICYMI — Mad Priest on Broad Street is an espresso bar now.) ☕
- Boxcar general store | This train-themed general store recently opened in Southside in the Locals Only space by the same owners. TryThis: an open house on Saturday, Aug. 22 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The open house will feature a raffle to win prizes with giveaways every hour, and the chance to spin the Wheel of Destiny to receive discounts at the store. 🚂
- Del Taco | Fort Oglethorpe just got its first Del Taco location at 526 Battlefield Parkway (about a 20-minute drive from downtown Chattanooga). Del Taco’s menu features items like burritos, tacos, nachos, and even burgers + fries, plus lots of vegan and vegetarian options with offerings like Beyond meat. 🌮