Death — it’s one thing we all have in common, and yet it’s the topic we avoid discussing the most.
Welcome Home of Chattanooga + The Chattery are hoping to change that with their spring enrichment program — Demystifying Death and Dying.
What is Welcome Home?
Welcome Home of Chattanooga (400 S. Germantown Rd.) offers end-of-life care for those in need. Their mission is to create a “community of hope, healing, and compassion for those who are facing a serious illness or death and need safe shelter.”
If you’d like to help out with their mission, you can learn more here.
And what’s the program?
Demystifying death and dying is the spring enrichment program (February, March + April) hosted by Welcome Home and The Chattery, with sessions happening weekly.
- Substance abuse among those experiencing homelessness | Thurs., Feb. 18 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free, register — donations accepted | This class will provide a basic overview of the kinds of substances that are abused + the effect they have on the body and mind, and on the community and caregivers.
- De-escalation and conflict resolution | Thurs., Feb. 25 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free, register — donations accepted | The instructor will discuss the basics of conflict resolution and de-escalation that can be applied in everyday relationships + with those who are living in crisis.
- Let’s talk about hospice! | Thurs., March 4 | 5:30-7 p.m. | Virtual | Free, register — donations accepted | Dr. Terry Melvin will explore the myths surrounding hospice care and clarify this important service + discuss how to support someone who has been admitted to hospice.
- Ethics and end-of-life care | Thurs., March 11 | 5:30-7 p.m. | Virtual | Free, register — donations accepted | Dr. Bob Zylstra will familiarize those in attendance with concepts + terminology related to end-of-life concerns.
- Getting affairs in order and you can’t make this stuff up! | Thurs., March 18 | 5:30-7 p.m. | Virtual | Free, register — donations accepted | Amy Boulware, LAP, MSW, Chambliss Law will explore common estate planning mistakes + David Keller of Lane Funeral Home will talk about the importance of final arrangements, available options, and share about the day in the life of a funeral director.
- Mindful mapping end-of-life | Thurs., March 25 | 5:30-7 p.m. | Virtual | Free, register — donations accepted | Judith Pedersen-Benn M.S., HT + CMBM Faculty will provide a place where you can imagine and draw a “mind-map” of what your most ideal last moments on earth would be like.
- Compassion series | Wed., March 31 + every Wednesday in April | 5:30-7 p.m. | Virtual | Free, register — donations accepted | This series is designed to support caregivers and deepen their understanding + cultivation of compassion in their work.
Who should participate?
If your interest has been piqued, you should participate, no matter your age or health conditions. Because, in the wise words of Gandalf, “Death is just another path, one that we all must take.