It’s officially Ironman weekend in Chattanooga. As the Scenic City gets ready to welcome athletes and supporters from across the globe, we’re here to share the need-to-know information if you’re looking to participate in the festivities or avoid the crowds.
The event + the numbers
- Participants will swim 2.4 miles down the Tennessee River, bike a 116-mile course into Northern Georgia + run 26.2 miles through downtown Chattanooga.
- Over 1,700 athletes representing 49 US states + 22 countries are registered to participate.
- The athletes’ ages range from 18 to 81.
- Thursday, Sept. 21 | 12-5 p.m. | Ironman Athlete check-in
- Friday, Sept. 22 | 9 a.m.-5 p.m. | Ironman Athlete check-in
- Friday, Sept. 22 | 6-7 p.m. | Opening ceremony
- Saturday, Sept. 23 | 9 a.m. | Ironkids Chattanooga Fun Run race starts
- Sunday, Sept. 24 | 7:30 a.m. | Ironman Chattanooga race starts
- Sunday, Sept. 24 | 10 p.m.-1 a.m. | Finisher party
- Monday, Sept. 25 | 9:30 a.m. | Awards ceremony
Check out the full event schedule + happenings.
Where to watch
Folks can cheer on the athletes at several designated spectator zones along the courses. A complimentary shuttle service will also be provided to take supporters to the bike course in Chickamauga, GA.
Pro tip: Download the interactive Ironman Athlete Tracker App so you can follow the athletes in real time.
Traffic + closures
Riverfront Parkway (between Molly Lane + Aquarium Way) will be closed now until 9 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 26.
Expect several closures and detours during the race times on Sunday + police will be on-site directing traffic. See the full list of closures.
Avoid the crowds
On Sunday, you’ll want to avoid the areas along the Tennessee River (think Riverside Drive, the Tennessee Riverwalk, Ross’s Landing, and Barton Avenue). The bike race travels through NorthShore to northern Georgia, so expect crowds in the St. Elmo area as well.
We recommend spending the day in Hixson, East Ridge, or Brainerd. Looking for dinner plans? Side Track Restaurant is one of our favorite hidden gems tucked away on Hixson Pike.