No one knows for sure if aliens exist, but there are plenty of sightings in Chattanooga that bolster belief. According to the National UFO Reporting Center, there have been thousands of sightings in Tennessee — and 71 sightings in Chatt alone.
They say seeing is believing. Here are several eyewitness accounts of UFO sightings in Chattanooga from the State Report Index:
- Jan. 6, 2019 | “I was stargazing and saw a camouflage see through object, like looking at the stars through water, wth veiny blue lights…”
- Feb. 23, 2017 | “Extremely bright rotating sphere of light with a haze, looked way too close to be a planet or star but too small to be the moon.” (Accompanied by a YouTube video that is no longer available.)
- Aug. 27, 2015 | “Immense green light appeared a few seconds after a power outage that covered the entire hillside.”
Want to file a report? Make like Saturn, and give the National UFO Reporting Center a ring.
What causes the sightings?
- Airplanes | One possible reason for the sightings could be due to the activity at the Chattanooga Airport. Even a commercial plane can create vivid vapor trails that may look like extraterrestrial evidence.
- Sprites | A natural phenomenon known as sprites occurs in the Chattanooga area. Sprites are flashes of light triggered by thunderstorms that may resemble flashing spacecraft lights. They can appear as balls of electricity or streaks of light.
- Clouds | A hole-punch cloud (a donut-shaped cloud that can look like a flying saucer) can occur when a plane flies through cirrus or cirrostratus clouds.
- Optical illusions | Reflections may look like lights in the sky, especially at night. Sightings on I-24 may be headlights refracting off the windshield or rearview mirrors.
Or… maybe the sightings really are visitations from extraterrestrial tourists. The aliens might have heard about the view from the Raccoon Mountain Reservoir Loop and decided to pay us a visit.